Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Imation Solid State Drive - Doesn't work and no tech support

Imation Solid State Drive.  Sad story.  Dec 29, 2010
I bought a 64 GB SATA II solid state hard drive (ssd) from Buy.com. It was manufactured by Imation.
Imation supplies a small kit with a CD containing a small operating system to clone every last bit on one’s mechanical hard drive onto the solid state drive.  Did that.  Cloned perfectly.
I used the new ssd for a couple of days and noticed that the mouse cursor occasionally froze on the screen.  Also noticed that the little blue led indicating activity on the hard drive, ssd in this case, was lit continuously.  Only thing I could do when the mouse cursor froze was to physically turn off the power and reboot.  Problem got worse, within an hour after each reboot, the mouse cursor froze, etc. all over again.
Imation tech support said to ship the ssd back to them, that the firmware needed updating.  They do not include the necessary cables in the kit to do that yourself.
Sent it back.  Got it back.  Installed it again.  Same mouse cursor freeze, just like before. 
I called Imation's tech support line, and was told on Dec 20 that I would receive help within 24 - 48 hours.  Today is Dec 29. Have not heard, nor seen any phone call or email --nothing.
I wrote an email complaining about poor tech support to the CEO of Imation, but it turns out he does not have an email address at his own company.  I sent the same letter to Imation tech support and asked that the letter be sent to the CEO.  No response from him or anyone or tech support.
I will trash Imation’s ssd and buy an OCZ ssd which is one of two premium brands.  Comparative studies that you can see on the internet show that Intel and OCZ solid state drives far outperform Imation’s whose performance is quiute slow compared to the two name brands.
Even though I knew Imation's ssd was slower than OCZ or Intel, the kit to clone my mechanical hard drive onto the ssd made it more desireable than the other two. No software reinstalls.  Imation's price was lower than the other two.  Still, shouldn't have bought it, hindsight now tells me.
Though you would welcome this story as an Imation brand ssd in my opinion is one to stay away from.  Save your money and much heartache.
Cevicheman

No comments:

Post a Comment